While the plot is less full it’s a good time to test your soil’s pH. You can test at any time as long as it’s over three months since you added any lime, as this can affect the result. Manure can affect results too, so when you take a soil sample make sure it is soil and not organic matter you pick up – dig down a spit or so to make sure.
To get a sample, take soil from several points across your veg bed in a ‘W’ pattern and mix it into one sample. If you have a large allotment its worth doing this for each area and getting separate results for each one because pH can vary from one end of a plot to another.
To extract the soil, dig out one spit and take a slice from one side of the hole one spit deep – this slice will be your sample. Do this for each point of your ‘W’ and mix them all together in a clean bucket. You’ll end up with a large bucket of soil but you’ll only need a spoonful, so mix thoroughly.
Home soil testing kits are widely available and easy to use. Kits can be slightly different, so follow the directions on your pack. Usually, it involves taking a small spoonful of soil and mixing it with water and a powdered indicator to create a colored liquid. After the soil in the liquid has settled you can use the color guide that comes with the kit to determine the pH. Hold a white piece of paper behind the vial of liquid to help see the true color.
After you know your soil then which veggie is best for your soil?
Alkaline (limey) – Great for growing brassicas, which will be protected from club root. Legumes and grape vines like it too.
Neutral soil – Ideal for growing most fruit and veggie. The exception is acid-loving fruit bushes, blueberries, and cranberries.
Acidic soil – Most plants thrive in it, but potatoes, rhubarb, currants, and gooseberries do particularly well.
- Quick, at home results for Soil pH, Nitrogen, Phosphrous and Potash
- Innovative and inexpensive soil test kit features an easy-to-use capsule system and patented color comparators
- Contains all components needed for 40 tests. 10 for each of pH, N, P and K
- Simple, detailed instructions included. Great for beginners and experienced gardeners alike.
- Soil pH preference list for over 450 plants included
- Economical soil test kit for testing soil pH, Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) and Potash (K)
- Contains (10) total tests: (4) for pH and (2) for each of N, P and K along with color coded test tubes
- Final assembly done in the USA
- Simple, fast, and accurate results; no experience required to perform tests
- Includes simple, yet complete instructions for adjusting soil conditions
- 🌷🌷Method of Use: No Battery needed; simply insert the meter in the soil area you want to check and instantly get an accurate and precise reading! When measuring soil pH and humidity, left 1cm of probe to avoid destroying electrode.
- 🌸🌸Multi-function：1.Let you know when to water. You will never over/under water your plants again with this tester. 2.Help you to control Ph level in soil, acidic or alkaline is suitable for your plants. 3.Help you to determine if plant getting adequate light.
- 🍓🍓Indoor & Outdoor Use: This item is a perfect tool to test the soil conditions ( Moisture/Light/PH) of fruits, flowers, vegetables, shrubs, etc. with high accuracy and easy operation. You can take good care of your plants.
- 🌽🌽Warm Tips: 1, Do not touch the stone or hard rock soil, if the soil is too hard and dry, easy to damage the probes. 2, Design for testing soil ONLY. 3,After using, need to clean and wipe the probes.4,measurement of moisture and pH must be viewed while the unit is in the soil,And the tester must be kept in the soil for 10 minutes or more.
- 🍅🍅18 Month Warranty: Our warranty time is longer than others as our quality is guaranteed, unconditionally refund or resend with any quality problems, life time friendly customer service, ONLY offered by Marge Plus store.
- 3-IN-1: Our new professional 3-in-1 soil testing kit tests the soil for PH acidity, moisture, and light. All of these parts: moisture meter, pH acidity, and light sensor provide you with accurate information about the soil and environment condition.
- ULTRA ACCURACY: We use a professional grade material to create our three-way soil meter and have equipped our testing kit with ultra-accurate scales which allow you check even smallest changes in the soil condition. The sensors are designed in that way that allows measurement of the smallest changes in PH and moisture from the surface down to the end of the smallest roots of your plants.
- EASY TO USE: Just choose what you would like to measure. Put the switch in the right position, put the sensor into the soil vertically, and wait few minutes. Then check moisture/light/PH and remove the probe from the soil. After each use please remember to clean the soil from the sensors.
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Our meter does not need a battery for operation. You just need to dip the soil tester in the soil area you want to check and instantly get an accurate and precise reading. Sensors for PH and moisture measurement are made from lead-free metal and doesn't affect the plants or soil in any way.
- MULTIPURPOSE: Our new soil testing kit is the best product for indoor and outdoor use. You can use it for farming, gardening, home plants, lawn and more. Our tester works perfectly in all types of soil and during all seasons and weather conditions. The tester is small enough to use in flower pots and on open spaces like lawn and fields.
- 3-in-1: Tests moisture, PH value and light level using two 20cm probe and a light sensor
- High Accuracy and Rapid Respond: There are three calibration tables, you can respectively get the accurate value immediately
- No Battery Needed: Environmentally friendly because it needn't any battery or electricity. Just plug in the probe to your object
- Compact and Portable: It is convenient to use it indoor, outdoor or in your greenhouse
- Promote Healthy Plants: It ensures and maintains the health and quality of your greenery. By using it, you can know when to water, control PH level and whether the plant getting adequate sunlight
How To Test Your Soil - Gardening - Soil Testing Kit
Showing how to test garden soil with a soil testing kit.
How To Use a Soil Test Kit
Mark Cullen explains how to use a soil test kit and how to amend your soil based on the test results. Featuring CIL Soil Test Kit.
How to Test and Measure Your Soil pH at Home
Testing your soil pH is vital to avoid nutrient lockout and other growing issues. It's not hard to do and the test is quite cheap. So get it done! → Soil pH Testing Kit I ...
How to Measure your Soil pH Cheap and Easy
Soil pH is one of the most important factors that can be overlooked in the garden. pH has impacts on the availability of nutrients and of the plants ability to take ...
The value of soil tests before putting a garden to restOctober 31, 2017 - Wisconsin State Farmer
When putting a garden to rest for the winter, it's best to include time spent thinking of ways to improve its soil for the following year's crop. Healthy soil is the foundation of successful gardening, and a simple test can reveal the existing nutrient...
Why soil test in the fall?October 12, 2017 - Michigan State University Extension
Soil testing is a best practice recommended by to achieve the desired agronomic, economic and environmental outcomes from fertilizer practices. Timing-wise, there are several advantages to soil test in the fall...
In the Garden: Put your soil to the testOctober 28, 2017 - Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette
Since we live in such a wonderfully productive agricultural area, we are lucky enough to have an abundance of soil testing labs. Agricultural Soil Management Inc. and Waypoint Analytical Illinois Inc. are both located right here in Champaign-Urbana and...
Soil testing this fall? Split your sample and test for soybean cyst nematodesOctober 31, 2017 - Michigan State University Extension
If you are testing for soybean cyst nematodes in the fall, especially before fall tillage is complete, suggests collecting samples near the base of old plant stems (in the rows). This should help you to collect...
soil ph tester kit uk
soil testing kit home depot
soil testing kit new zealand
soil testing kit refills
soil testing kit price in bangalore
soil testing kit reviews
rapitest soil test kit home depot
soil testing kit uk
soil testing kit ph
soil testing kit nz
soil test kit home depot canada
soil fertility test kit india
soil testing kit price
soil testing kit argos
garden soil testing kits nz
soil ph test kit uk
soil ph testing kit home depot
soil testing kit in india
soil testing kit south africa
soil test kit india
lead soil test kit home depot
lawn soil test kit home depot
soil testing kit ebay uk
soil testing kit price in hyderabad
lowe’s canada soil test kit
ph soil testing kit lowes
soil testing kit india price
soil testing kit homebase
best soil testing kit uk
garden soil test kit home depot
professional soil testing kit uk
soil testing kit ebay india
soil testing kit reviews uk
manutec soil ph test kit price
soil testing kit lowes
soil testing kit for gardens
soil testing kit canada
soil testing kit india
soil ph test kit india
soil test kit online india
agricultural soil testing kit india
soil npk test kit india
soil ph testing kit nz
portable soil testing kit india
soil testing kit lead
soil ph testing kits for sale
soil testing kit amazon uk
diy soil test kit nz
ph soil testing kit uk
soil ph tester uk
lawn soil test kit lowes
soil testing kit for lawns
soil testing kit
agricultural soil testing kit uk
soil testing kit amazon
soil testing kit professional
soil ph testing kit prices
buy soil test kit india
soil testing kit online india
buy soil testing kit uk
buy soil testing kit nz
npk soil test kit uk
soil testing kit price india
rapitest soil test kit lowes