While the plot is less full it’s a good time to test your soil’s pH. You can test at any time as long as it’s over three months since you added any lime, as this can affect the result. Manure can affect results too, so when you take a soil sample make sure it is soil and not organic matter you pick up – dig down a spit or so to make sure.
To get a sample, take soil from several points across your veg bed in a ‘W’ pattern and mix it into one sample. If you have a large allotment its worth doing this for each area and getting separate results for each one because pH can vary from one end of a plot to another.
To extract the soil, dig out one spit and take a slice from one side of the hole one spit deep – this slice will be your sample. Do this for each point of your ‘W’ and mix them all together in a clean bucket. You’ll end up with a large bucket of soil but you’ll only need a spoonful, so mix thoroughly.
Home soil testing kits are widely available and easy to use. Kits can be slightly different, so follow the directions on your pack. Usually, it involves taking a small spoonful of soil and mixing it with water and a powdered indicator to create a colored liquid. After the soil in the liquid has settled you can use the color guide that comes with the kit to determine the pH. Hold a white piece of paper behind the vial of liquid to help see the true color.
After you know your soil then which veggie is best for your soil?
Alkaline (limey) – Great for growing brassicas, which will be protected from club root. Legumes and grape vines like it too.
Neutral soil – Ideal for growing most fruit and veggie. The exception is acid-loving fruit bushes, blueberries, and cranberries.
Acidic soil – Most plants thrive in it, but potatoes, rhubarb, currants, and gooseberries do particularly well.
- INDUSTRY-LEADING WARRANTY: We promise 12-Month Hassle Free Money Back or Free New Replacement guarantee if you receive the defective products or have any questions before you decide to leave a negative feedback or review !
- 3-IN-1 FUNCTION: Test soil moisture, pH value and sunlight level of plant with our MS02 meter, quickly helps you specialize in grasping when you need to water your plant, control the pH value in the soil and know about whether it gets adequate sunlight.
- ACCURATE AND RELIABLE: Premium Double-needle Detection Technology strongly enhances the speed and accuracy of detecting and analyzing soil moisture and pH acidity, refuse to be a killer of plants, promote plant growth in a healthy way.
- EASY TO USE: No batteries needed, just insert the sensor probe into the soil about 2-4 inches, toggle switch to test moisture, pH, sunlight you would like to measure, then wait for a few minutes till the pointer stops swinging to get a stable reading on the scale dial. If the plant is very dry, the soil pointer will not swing, that means your plant needs water.
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE: Design to be lightweight and portable, easy to carry around for outdoor use, ideal soil test tool kit for home plants, garden, lawn and farm.
- 🍀🍀Multi-functions: Our soil moisture meter is helpful for you to plant flowers, plants and make them grow healthy and strong.You can now know whether you need to water your soil, amend its pH levels or adjust its lighting
- 🎄🎄Easy to Use: Just need plug and read.There are three calibration tables on our multifunctional meter tool, you can respectively get the accurate value immediately
- 🌼🌼No Battery Needed: Simply push the meter into the soil, and you'll get your reading. It's no need for batteries
- 🌻🌻Indoor & Outdoor Use: Ideal and necessary soil care tool for gardeners, outdoor & indoor plants, gardens & grass lawn, fruits, flowers, vegetables, shrubs, etc
- ❤❤12 Month Warranty: Backed by a Besiva 12 Months Warranty & Carefree Service for Every Purchase
- Quick, at home results for Soil pH, Nitrogen, Phosphrous and Potash
- Innovative and inexpensive soil test kit features an easy-to-use capsule system and patented color comparators
- Contains all components needed for 40 tests. 10 for each of pH, N, P and K
- Simple, detailed instructions included. Great for beginners and experienced gardeners alike.
- Soil pH preference list for over 450 plants included
soil ph tester kit uk
soil testing kit home depot
soil testing kit new zealand
soil testing kit refills
soil testing kit price in bangalore
soil testing kit reviews
rapitest soil test kit home depot
soil testing kit uk
soil testing kit ph
soil testing kit nz
soil test kit home depot canada
soil fertility test kit india
soil testing kit price
soil testing kit argos
garden soil testing kits nz
soil ph test kit uk
soil ph testing kit home depot
soil testing kit in india
soil testing kit south africa
soil test kit india
lead soil test kit home depot
lawn soil test kit home depot
soil testing kit ebay uk
soil testing kit price in hyderabad
lowe’s canada soil test kit
ph soil testing kit lowes
soil testing kit india price
soil testing kit homebase
best soil testing kit uk
garden soil test kit home depot
professional soil testing kit uk
soil testing kit ebay india
soil testing kit reviews uk
manutec soil ph test kit price
soil testing kit lowes
soil testing kit for gardens
soil testing kit canada
soil testing kit india
soil ph test kit india
soil test kit online india
agricultural soil testing kit india
soil npk test kit india
soil ph testing kit nz
portable soil testing kit india
soil testing kit lead
soil ph testing kits for sale
soil testing kit amazon uk
diy soil test kit nz
ph soil testing kit uk
soil ph tester uk
lawn soil test kit lowes
soil testing kit for lawns
soil testing kit
agricultural soil testing kit uk
soil testing kit amazon
soil testing kit professional
soil ph testing kit prices
buy soil test kit india
soil testing kit online india
buy soil testing kit uk
buy soil testing kit nz
npk soil test kit uk
soil testing kit price india
rapitest soil test kit lowes