With their dark, glossy leaves and vibrant, shiny skins in a rainbow of hues, peppers make for a colorful addition to your outdoor space, whatever its size. Greenhouses, veg plots, patios, and balconies can all become home to this summer harvest staple. With only the need for a warm site and plenty of water, plus being relatively uninviting to pests, sweet peppers are a great choice for those getting to grips with gardening.
Home growers can explore a wealth of options aside from the traditional red, yellow and green varieties, from light, creamy greens to deep purples and blacks. Plus, you can easily reap the nutritional rewards of this simple to grow fruit vitamin packed peppers can be grilled, roasted, barbecued, fried, stewed, steamed, or eaten raw for a sweet and bright addition to your plate.
Start sowing sweet pepper seeds now through to early April. As the fruits originally hail from warm, tropical climes, they thrive in a spot kept between 18 and 21 °C. Scatter seeds in pots or trays filled with compost and leave to germinate in a propagator or on a warm windowsill, covered with plastic bags to lock in heat and moisture.
Not only versatile on your plate, peppers are adaptable when it comes to growing, too – containers, growing bags, or open ground sites all work well. If placing directly in your garden, prepare their final position about a month before planting out. Opt for a sunny, sheltered spot – at the base of a south or west-facing brick wall is ideal. Dig over the soil and enrich with a generous measure of compost or well-rotted manure. Place cold frames over the site about two weeks before planting out to prime the ground further.
Seedlings are ready to be planted out once two leaves have formed, or when they have reached between 5 and 6cm tall. Fill 7-9cm pots with compost, level off and tap to settle. To remove the seedling, carefully loosen the compost, gently take hold of a leaf and lift. Use a dibber beneath the roots to give you some leverage. Lower the seedling into a hole in the middle of the prepared pot until the leaves sit just above the soil. Once the roots have filled this pot, transplant to a 30cm one in late April if growing in a heated greenhouse, mid-May in an unheated undercover space, and late May outside.
How To Care?
Once they are 20-30cm tall, pinch out the growing tips to encourage a fuller plant. You can do the same to the side shoots to yield an abundance of smaller fruits when it comes to harvest. At this stage of growth, plants may need supporting with garden canes or pea sticks.
Peppers are typically thirsty plants, so regular watering is essential. Make sure to water twice a day in hot weather as dry compost will hamper growth, but ensure pots don’t become waterlogged. Feed with a high potash liquid fertilizer once a week after the first fruits have set.
While sweet peppers can often reach harvest time unscathed from pest damage, keep an eye out for glasshouse red spider or two-spotted mites. Infestations lead to pale, mottled leaves coated in the webbing that can drop early. The insects thrive in dry, hot environments, so regularly mist plants with sprays comprising of plant oils and extracts or soft soap. Also look for colonies of aphids which sit on the shoot tips of the plant. For the non-squeamish, you can squash them with a finger and thumb, but spraying with plant or fish oils can also help.
On The Table
Sweet peppers usually yield between three and eight fruits per plant and are ready to harvest between July and October when they’re green, swollen and the skins have a shine. If you’ve sown red, yellow, purple or orange peppers, the key is to be patient. It may take a while for them to transform into their final colors, but the intense, sweet flavor will be well worth the wait. Bear in mind, however, that while leaving the fruits to ripen on the plant will increase taste, it will reduce yield.
Avoid pulling the peppers from the plant by hand as this can cause whole branches to break – instead use a sharp knife or scissors, making sure to leave a short stem attached. The peppers should then be stored in a fridge, but if you’ve experienced a glut, they can be frozen, pickled or dried.
You can follow these simple steps to grow this flavorsome fruit and harvest a bumper crop later in the year!
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO START GROWING your hot chillies and sweet peppers in one box, we've left nothing out! Ideal for beginners, gardeners and children alike. INCLUDES 6 Peat Growing Biodegradable Pots, 6 Peat Discs that expand to 7 times their size when watered, 6 Plant Markers and of course 6 foil sealed seed sachets, plus full SOWING & GROWING TIPS.
- GREAT GROWING PERFORMANCE and 100% NON - GMO. All our seeds are laboratory tested before release by our leading US seed supplier and then sealed in foil packets for freshness! MADE IN THE USA
- HEALTH BENEFITS - both red and green peppers are high in VITAMIN C, with red fruits very high in VITAMIN A too. Hot Chilli seed varieties include CHILLI HABANERO: uniquely coloured BLAZING HOT chillies, CHILLI DE CAYENNE perfect to spice up your culinary life and CHILLI PEPPER JALAPENO this superb variety produces excellent fruits that can be EATEN when GREEN OR RED!
- FANTASTIC sweet pepper seed varieties include: SWEET PEPPER FRYING MIX the largest of the sweet peppers and ideal for stuffing, SWEET PEPPER ORANGE SUN large tasty pepper ideal for salads and SWEET PEPPER CALIFORNIA WONDER with a crisp mild flavour and very versatile - it even has MORE VITAMIN C than an ORANGE!
- A THOUGHTFUL GIFT beautifully presented in the illustrated gift box, this seed kit has everything you need to start growing, go on treat yourself or a LOVED ONE today! Home grown TASTES EVEN BETTER.
- GROW 4 PEPPERS FROM SEED - Kit contains 4 foil sealed packets with organic seeds - spicy green cayenne pepper, sweet yolo wonder red pepper, yellow banana pepper & hot jalapeno pepper. 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN A BOX - This colorful pepper garden kit contains all the tools & equipment for growing a spicy pepper garden at home: Instructions w/ growing tips; 4 seed packets, 4 organic planters; 4 compressed soil discs; 4 plant markers.
- HIGHEST SUCCESS RATES - 100% certified organic seeds, 100% non-gmo, with high germination rate. Made in the USA. The set arrives with a detailed instructions & with all the accessories you need. No past experience required.
- INCREDIBLE HEALTH BENEFITS - Peppers add flavourful kick to your meal, plus they're loaded with vitamins & disease fighting properties. Both hot & sweet peppers may enhance weight-loss efforts and are packed with vitamins A & C, folic acid & fiber.
- UNIQUE GIFT IDEA - Nature's Blossom's pepper germination kit is a great diy gift choice for beginners or expert gardeners, chefs, cooks, men and women. Popular gift for christmas, holidays, birthdays, housewarmings, graduation and more.
- Grow fresh Yellow Sweet Pepper at home with zero effort. No green thumb required!
- Extremely easy: insert the capsules, fill the water tank and plug in your Smart Garden. That's all you have to do! Your Smart Garden will take care of the rest and make sure your plants grow fast and healthy.
- Works with all Click & Grow Smart Gardens! Sprouts in 2-3 weeks; Full size in 2-3 months; Enjoy for 3-4 months
- Click & Grow Plant Capsules are 100% biodegradable. As part of our ongoing efforts to minimize packaging waste our new generation of capsules are DELIVERED WITHOUT PLASTIC CUPS AND GERMINATION DOMES.
- NB! Smart Herb Garden users: You can reuse the plastic cups and germination domes that came with the original capsules in your Smart Herb Garden. Please contact us for replacements if you no longer have the original plant cup and germination dome.
- The Sweet Bell Peppers Seed Pod Kit includes: 2 pre-seeded Sweet Bell Pepper pods and 7 Plant Spacers
- 100-Percent Germination Guarantee - if a Seed Pod doesn't germinate, we'll replace it for free
- Non-GMO. No herbicides. No pesticides
- Also includes 1) patented, specially formulated Liquid Nutrients 2) Grow Domes for optimal germination 3) Growing Guide with step-by-step instructions
- For use in Tall (24" Grow Height - Extra/Ultra/Bounty models) AeroGardens. Please note that product packaging may classify plant spacers as part of product's total seed pod count.
- A Great Starter Kit For Growing Fresh Peppers At Home
- This product is highly durable
- This product is manufactured in China
HD How To Grow Sweet Peppers Using Starter Plants
"Growing and Cooking your own food is like printing your own money.” Ron Finley We provide knowledge, tools and tips to help you and your family to have fun, ...
How To Grow Peppers - Complete Growing Guide
In this complete growing guide we will cover everything you need to know about growing peppers. No matter if you are growing in a square foot garden, ...
Pepper Growing Tips - The Complete Guide To Growing Great Peppers
Learn the secrets to growing great peppers in your garden. Watch how to grow peppers, fertilize and harvest peppers, prevent insects & diseases in peppers.
How to Plant Sweet Bell Peppers
Homegrown peppers taste delicious and create beautiful color for your garden. Greg Speichert shows how to properly plant, fertilize, and water pepper plants.
growing mini sweet peppers indoors
how to grow chili peppers from seeds indoors
growing sweet peppers in pots outside
growing sweet banana peppers from seed
grow sweet banana peppers
growing cayenne peppers from seed indoors
grow mini sweet peppers
grow sweet peppers in containers
grow mini sweet peppers from seed
growing bell peppers outside uk
growing bell peppers indoors uk
growing mini bell peppers in containers
grow vine sweet mini peppers
growing sweet peppers in pots uk
growing green bell pepper from seed
miracle grow sweet peppers
how to grow sweet red peppers indoors
best sweet pepper varieties uk
grow sweet peppers
how to grow mini sweet bell peppers
sweet pepper varieties uk
how to grow mini bell peppers
grow sweet peppers in greenhouse
how to grow red bell peppers indoors
growing bell peppers in pots outside
growing sweet peppers from seed
growing bell peppers in your garden
grow sweet peppers in your garden
grow sweet peppers indoors
growing green pepper from seed
growing banana peppers from seed
how to plant mini bell peppers
growing peppers from seed indoors uk
growing hot peppers from seed indoors
grow sweet peppers uk
growing sweet banana peppers in containers
growing bell peppers outdoors uk
growing sweet pepper plants indoors
growing red peppers from seed indoors
how to grow mini red bell peppers
growing sweet peppers from seed indoors
growing hot banana peppers in containers
growing sweet yellow banana peppers
growing peppers from seed indoors
best sweet peppers to grow uk
growing bell peppers indoors from seed
growing banana peppers in containers
growing green peppers from seed indoors
growing mini bell peppers indoors
growing sweet peppers outside uk
growing sweet peppers in containers uk
growing banana peppers from seed indoors
miracle grow bell peppers
growing bell peppers in pots uk
growing green peppers indoors from seed
grow sweet cherry peppers