Since microgreens grow in popularity, so many fine restaurants have added them to their menus, and consumers have started looking for them at farmers’ markets and specialty grocers.
Microgreens are the edible leaves of herbs and vegetables harvested at the earliest stage of plant life cycle. Most people love their fresh, vibrant flavors, textures and colors. Microgreens are undoubtedly beautiful on the plate, of course, they are more than a garnish.
They also are a nutritious ingredient. According to the research of the University of Maryland and U.S. Department of Agriculture, the microgreens contain four to 40 times more nutrients than their mature counterparts. The best microgreens are often smaller versions of herbs or greens traditionally eaten full-sized. You must use clean, organic seed and organic soil to avoid the chance of pesticide or fungicide contamination.
Growing microgreens is a great way to use up leftover seed from the gardening season. Feel free and enjoy to experiment, but carefully do your research to be making sure that everything you grow has edible leaves. Here is some list of popular varieties that you should try.
CILANTRO will develop bold, full flavor in about two weeks.
CHARD is earthy and substantial, with a rainbow of colors available.
CABBAGE greens may be grown from any variety. ‘Tokyo Bekena’ Chinese cabbage is pictured.
BROCCOLI has a bright, satisfying veggie flavor.
BOK CHOY is soft and subtle, with a fresh crunch.
ARUGULA has distinctive, pungent flavor with a bit of spice.
DAIKON RADISH offers sweet crunch with a peppery kick.
KALE is a supertasty “superfood.” ‘Red Russian’ has beautiful pink stems.
MUSTARD is pleasantly spicy. Try red mustard for a pop of color.
PEA SHOOTS are tender, with a fresh flavor similar to a sugar snap pea.
RED-VEINED SORREL has a lemony flavor. It may take two months for the leaves to reach a usable size.
SUNFLOWER produces fastgrowing, juicy shoots with a sweet, nutty taste.
You may not find microgreens at your local supermarket or grocers just yet. Fortunately, you can grow your own microgreens easily at home on your window-sill in less than two weeks. Let’s see how to do it.
Grow Microgreens in 4 STEP
Unlike sprouts, which are germinated in water and eaten roots and all, microgreens are grown in soil and only the leaves and stems are harvested. For the best flavor and nutrition, skip the soilless mix and use a high-quality compost-based soil like Organic Mechanics Premium Blend
• Organic compost-based soil (like Organic Mechanics)
• Organic seed
• Jars for soaking seed
• Spray bottle
• Shallow planting containers with drainage holes, 4-inch nursery pots or yogurt cups
STEP 1 – Soaking seed
Many seeds will germinate more quickly and evenly if they are soaked in water before planting. The optimal time for soak pea, sunflower, daikon radish, kale, and broccoli seeds is around 8 to 12 hours. Then, drain and let them sit in the jar for another day before planting. The seed will be starting to show roots and will be dry enough to handle.
Easy germination seed like Bok choy, arugula, mustard, chard, and tiny seeds like basil and sorrel don’t need to be presoaked.
STEP 2: Plant, mist, and cover
Moisten the soil just enough that it forms a ball when squeezed. Fill the containers to about 1 inch below the rim, gently tap to settle the soil, and pat the surface smooth. Spread the seed liberally across the soil’s surface.
Do not cover the seed with soil—this will help keep your greens clean. Using a spray bottle or the mist setting on your hose, wet the seeds to help settle them into a single layer, and give them good soil contact.
Covering the containers with an overturned nursery tray or cardboard box for two or three days will conserve moisture and provide the darkness that most roots need to get a good start.
STEP 3: Add light and water
Once the seeds have put down roots and are starting to sprout, move them into the light. A bright windowsill will work, just be sure to keep the containers close to the glass, and avoid direct sunlight. A fluorescent shop light hung about 6 inches above the greens’ leaves also is a good light source.
Irrigate by setting each container into a shallow basin of water for about 20 minutes, water will pass up into the soil while leaves stay clean and dry. Move the seedlings back to a dry tray after they are watered. Do not let your seedlings to dry out. You will likely need to water them every day or two until they are ready for harvest.
STEP 4: Time to harvest
Most microgreens are ready to eat in eight to 11 days when they are 1 to 2 inches tall. Slower-growing varieties like herbs and sorrel may take a month or more. Microgreens can be eaten at any stage, so experiment to figure out when they taste best to you.
To harvest, snip the stems and lift away the greens, leaving the soil and lower stems behind. Once greens have grown to the optimal size, pop the whole container into the fridge, where the greens will stay fresh for up to two weeks.
Once you’ve harvested, you can pull out the remaining roots and stems, then use the soil to grow a new crop. Larger microgreens like peas or sunflowers have consumed most of the soil, mix the root ball into the compost, refill the container, and you’re ready to go again.
- SUPERFOOD - Why not grow your own? In ten days you'll have super nutritious and delicious greens grown from seed. Add them to your salads, sandwiches, smoothie drinks, soups or simply garnish any dish you want with these healthy little powerhouses. Better than sprouts and up to 40 times more nutrients than adult vegetables.
- IT'S EASY - With the premeasured soil and seed just hydrate the Fiber Soil in the planter tray, spread seed, mist and water for ten days near a window, then cut and eat. That's it!
- COMPLETE - Comes with the Multi-Use Planter Tray, our unique Fiber Soil, Non GMO Zesty Radish Microgreen Seeds and a 150 ml sprayer. MULTI-USE - The Planting Tray can also be used to plant succulents, dish and herb gardens, wheatgrass, table centerpiece, house plant drip tray, fairy gardens, and so much more.
- ATTRACTIVE - They look beautiful on a dish as a gourmet garnish. And forget about growing Microgreens in flimsy ugly plastic trays. This crisp, clear, sturdy acrylic planting tray looks absolutely stunning in any décor. Grow your greens on a counter near a window or on our Window Garden Double Veg Ledge then serve them on your dinner table in the same dish!
- GREAT GIFT - Who wouldn't want a lush indoor edible garden that only takes ten days to grow, looks beautiful and is filled with nutrition? It's a perfect gift for him, her, vegans, raw foodies, kids, elderly or how about that college student away from home? Give the gift of health they'll enjoy growing and eating. ***GET 10% OFF MICROGREEN 3 PACK REFILL***
- Includes a growing tray, organic seeds, coco coir and nutrients
- Enough seeds, coir, and nutrients for three+grows!
- Many nutritional benefits and an amazing addition to any salad or greens dish.
- Trays are 10x10 inches
- Non-GMO certified organic seeds and coco coir
- SPROUTS READY IN 3-5 DAYS: Enjoy healthy sprouts for salads, sandwiches and soups
- VARIETY: Grow multiple types of sprouting seeds at the same time
- SEEDS STAY IN PLACE: Hydrophobic water flow method insures seeds won't move during germination
- NO MORE SEED CLUMPING: Unlike what often happens with conventional irrigation systems
- READY TO START: Instruction Manual and 1 oz. pack of Organic Alfalfa Seeds included
- Complete Microgreens Starter Kit - Everything Needed to Get Started
- Perfect for Growing Smaller Quantities of Micros with up to 8 Simultaneous Crops
- Includes: 2 Drip Trays, 48 Tray Inserts, 48 Hydroponic Grow Pads, pH Test Strip Kit, Spray Bottle, Detailed Instructions
- 8 Types of Seed - 1 Oz ea: Basic Salad Mix, Spicy Salad Mix, Radish Blend, Red Streaks Mizuna, Genovese Basil, Sunflower (8 oz), Pak Choi, Broccoli
- Easy & Fun To Grow - Step By Step Countertop Gardening - Hydropoinic - No Mess - Healthy
- Feed yourself, family, and friends nutritious, delicious veggies grown by you!
- Busy Bee? No green thumb? No problem! No watering required. The Kit takes care of the rest.
- Grow flavorful microgreens in only 7-10 days to spruce up every meal. Colorful and decorative. Plus, microgreens are up to 40x more nutritious than regular leafy greens and veggies.
- Includes two Seed QuiltsTM: Daikon Radish and Salad Mix. Seed QuiltsTM make setup fast, easy, and mess-free.
- Grow indoors, year-round, no matter the season. Use the Kit over and over with Seed QuiltTM Refill Packs!
How to Grow Microgreens
Ask This Old House landscape designer Jenn Nawada learns how to grow and harvest microgreens. Watch the full episode: ...
How to Grow Microgreens
Have you ever tried microgreens? They are delicious and easy to grow! Check out how!
Microgreens - A Basement Farm | Volunteer Gardener
Julie Berbiglia introduces us to what's known as vegetable confetti or microgreens. These nutrition-packed tiny plants take only 2-4 weeks from germination to ...
Episode 18: Micro Greens Start to Finish
The Greenshine Farmer tell how to prep, seed, grow, harvest, and pack micro peas and sunflowers for grocery stores. Plus there are two new exciting members ...
Microgreens are much more than a garnish and it's time you start eating themOctober 18, 2017 - AZCentral.com
Microgreens are much more than a garnish you push aside on your dinner plate. They're delicate, nutritious and utterly delicious. In Phoenix, they likely come from a local farm called Arizona Microgreens. Wochit...
Microgreens 'much more than just confetti'October 3, 2017 - Fruitnet
Microgreens, which are typically harvested after just one to two weeks, are the baby version of a mature vegetable. They are sold as living plants in biodegradable cellulose and tend to have more nutritional value than pre-cut cresses, whose nutrient...
Serving nature on a plate: Farm-to-fork gets a twist with microgreensOctober 5, 2017 - Economic Times
BENGALURU: What happens when a health-conscious couple in the business of food have a dining table conversation? That can lead to a business idea focussed on health. This is exactly how food entrepreneur Vikram Udaygiri and his partner-wife Divya...
microgreens growing guide
microgreens grown indoors
microgreens growing kit indoor
micro greens protein content
microgreens seeds for sale
microgreens seeds amazon
microgreens growing system
microgreens seeds wholesale
growing microgreens outdoors
microgreens price list
microgreens business plan
microgreens and sprouts nutrition
microgreens price list uk
microgreens growing temperature
growing microgreens for profit pdf
microgreens growing tray
microgreens growing time
microgreens growing tips
microgreens seed mix
health benefits of sunflower microgreens
growing microgreens for profit
growing microgreens for profit book
growing microgreens indoors under lights
microgreens seeds wholesale india
starting microgreens business
grow microgreens in water
grow microgreens indoors
microgreens business book
urban farmer microgreens
microgreens business in india
growing microgreens outside
grow your own microgreens indoors
pea shoots microgreens nutrition
grow microgreens outdoors
microgreens growing conditions
microgreens nutrition facts
growing organic microgreens indoors
microgreens growing mats
bulk organic microgreen seeds canada
nutritional value of sunflower microgreens
health benefits of buckwheat microgreens
microgreens kit with light
amaranth microgreens recipes
microgreens for sale near me
pea microgreens nutrition
microgreens seeds pea
microgreens seeds kit
microgreens growing trays
microgreens seeds mix
microgreens growing medium
nutritional value of kale microgreens
grow microgreens outside
grow microgreens hydroponically
growing microgreens for profit download
microgreens business plan pdf
microgreens business australia
nutritional value of broccoli microgreens
microgreens growing indoors
micro greens nutrition study
grow microgreens for profit
microgreens how many seeds per tray
microgreens seeds wholesale uk
microgreens curtis stone
micro greens nutritional information
kale microgreens nutrition
microgreens business for sale
microgreens growing instructions
how to grow microgreens without soil
health benefits of broccoli microgreens
growing sunflower microgreens without soil
microgreens trays with drain holes
growing microgreens soilless
thompson and morgan microgreens growing kit
how to grow microgreens indoors without soil
microgreens seeds per tray
microgreens seeds organic
microgreens for sale uk
microgreens for sale nz
johnsons microgreens growing trays
microgreens for sale south africa
microgreens business model
microgreens for sale online
growing microgreens in soil
microgreens home growing kit
microgreens growing kit uk
microgreens growing kit nz
microgreens for sale australia
microgreens seeds amaranth
micro greens for sale malaysia
hydroponic microgreens growing kit
growing microgreens hydroponically
health benefits of kale microgreens
growing microgreens for profit book pdf
starting a microgreens business
growing microgreens at home for profit
growing microgreens soil
health benefits of radish microgreens
health benefits of beet microgreens
grow microgreens at home
microgreens price list australia
microgreens for sale philippines
growing microgreens indoors for profit
arugula microgreens nutrition
microgreens seeds for sale nz
growing microgreens for profit ebook
grow microgreens cheap
microgreens growing medium uk
sunflower microgreens nutrition
organic microgreens seeds uk
microgreens business uk
microgreens price list in india
organic microgreen seeds wholesale uk
growing microgreens commercially
microgreens for sale
microgreens seeds in india
growing microgreens for profit pdf download
microgreens seeds bulk
growing microgreens indoors youtube
organic microgreens seeds canada
grow microgreens without soil
can you grow microgreens outside
growing basil microgreens hydroponically
microgreens business names
urban farmer curtis stone microgreens
microgreens for profit
growing microgreens for profit amazon
growing microgreens indoors in winter
can you grow microgreens outdoors
microgreens seeds red amaranth
chia microgreens nutrition
microgreens vs sprouts
growing microgreens without soil
microgreens growing supplies
can you grow microgreens hydroponically
microgreens seeds singapore
growing microgreens indoors
microgreens seeds sprouting
nutritional value of microgreens
grow microgreens on paper towel
microgreens price list south africa
microgreens price list 2017
can you grow microgreens indoors
microgreens growing kit organic
grow sunflower microgreens without soil
microgreens salad recipes
microgreens seeds canada
growing microgreens for profit uk
growing microgreens at home
arugula microgreens recipes
microgreens seeds for sale philippines
pea microgreens recipes
growing microgreens in your kitchen
nutritional benefits of microgreens
microgreens without soil
microgreens growing guide pdf
organic microgreens growing kit
microgreens growing kit